I just updated the firmware on my Motorola Droid (version 1, two years told). Project Elite 5 was the first ROM I loaded after I rooted my Verizon Droid Version 1 phone. I updated to CynogenMod 7, but it appeared to be buggy, and I had performance issues, including the phone rebooting while using the GPS. I’m currently running the Steel Droid 9.0 ROM.
Upgrade Guide – the guide is very complete, but my notes are below
- Backup apps using Astro File Manager
- Backup SMS using SMS Backup & Restore
- I used RZ Recovery ROM, but I’m getting 404 on all the download links and I have ClockworkMod Recovery installed now.
- Follow the install guidelines and delete/format all data and cache on the device.
- Install the optional ROM
- Re-install Astro and SMS Backup, and restore your apps and data.
- Enjoy your new ROM!
Project Elite – Droid 1 Only
CyanogenMod 7 for the Motorola Droid :: V7.1.0 (9 Oct 2011)
Steel Droid – V9.0 for Droid 1, downloads for Droid 2, Droid 3, and Droid X
MIUI – next one I’m trying
RZ Recovery ROM install